Friday 6 February 2015

STARTING ON COLOUR (2)

Exercise for colour compare and contrast


Here are some colour squares, 4 sets each with an identical small square, but the outside square different. This is supposed to indicate the effect that colours have on each other in terms of space and luminosity. Thinking of Joseph Albers (1888-1976) and his work on colour relationships.


Painting by Joseph Albers

Painting by Joseph Albers

The final exercise in the Colour Theory section is an introduction to induced colour.  I struggled to understand this.  The link to the Guardian article will help me I hope, but for now this is what I have done.  I like the abstract effects and the stippling and "dotty" look, but have not yet grasped the principles.

Induced colour (1)

Induced colour (2)

Below is an example of what happens visually if you look long and hard at the red mark (nothing to do with the plague), then quickly look away.  Hey presto, you will see the same mark in pale greeney blue, the complementary of red.  This is all basic stuff, but for me it is fascinating, I can never revisit it enough times.  Difficult to move beyond it actually.  Well I am not the only one.

Induced colour (3)

No comments:

Post a Comment