Tuesday 6 October 2015

PROJECT 6 DRAWING FROM INDIRECT SOURCES - SKETCHES

Photo of subject
Line drawing
Tonal drawing

Colour sketch
Colour sketch version 2

Toned it down a bit.  Now I think first colour version better with more contrast and more going on
at bottom, that nice red.  Composition way to rectangular.  Let's see what happens when I start to make a painting.

Final version ....


Sunday 11th October  

Spent 2.5 hours today continuing with this.  Very difficult for me to work without reference to subject, I just go haywire.  Played around with paint, turned pic every which way, tried to get more and more abstract but it still looks completely realistic.  

- RH side worked better, LH side not quite complete. 
- Difficult doing the slate roofs
- composition not very good basically to start with
- thinking about the shapes and how they interact and move around each other would have helped
- started to think about this
- altered shapes and colours a bit 
- started by referring to memory and colour sketch, and then as usual turned to tone, then played with colour and then space and composition.
- 3 hour session not enough
- colours have gone a bit warm on the wall. 
- things got simpler once I used wider brush:)
- need to return to subject or analyse and abstract more
- the white patch at the back very key, also way the lead roof comes forward, I think that down pipe is actually the support for the roof
- that shrub in foreground looks too dark
- very hard work anyway, feel drained and depressed

- how would I do it again? not sure, think about volume more from the start
- what would I do differently? - ditto  VOLUME AND SPACE
COMPOSITION PLANNING
-what did I like? - unexpected results with paint, especially from different angle:))  I think the final version is better
- what did'nt I like?  - usual depression and panic, but then followed by clarification 

Below  more on this, getting to know the colours - dull blues, brighter blues, greens bright and dull, bright light oranges and dull oranges ...

Final version

Another go at this one.  Painted over previous version and started again, also trimmed a bit off bottom of board.  This one looks too blue here, but the composition and tonal pattern is better, it just feels stronger.
I worked very systematically, making a tonal sketch in acrylic, then mixing the colours carefully on a large piece of glass.  Today I built on that.  The main change was to increase the brightness of the grass and emphasize the strip of light behind the hedge.  Also I have added detail in bottom rh corner, big help.  Whew!  Result.


No comments:

Post a Comment