Saturday 24 January 2015

DAYS 4 AND 5 AND BEYOND

View 4 photo
View 4 greyscale

Drawing 4 charcoal









 Today I tried a 4th viewpoint, but it was getting dark by the time I sat down and the light direction is unclear.  It is mostly coming from the overhead fluorescent tubing on left rather than daylight on right. Also I could not focus very well on the tone.  I am getting more interested in the form and solidity of the subjects, and it is not satisfying or effective to try and just do shapes and tone!  I cannot see that very clearly.  I like to understand the form so that I can then play with it and walk round it - rather like a three-dimensional computer programme.  The flat surface approach does not entirely work for me.

Now I am more familiar with the subject I will try a more analytic approach, just focussing on the forms, and maybe tone will make more sense then.  But better not to get stuck on this very first exercise!  This drawing definitely needs another go, however.

So far, drawing 2 is still the one like best. 

Day 5 photo
Day 5 greyscale

Drawing 5 charcoal



Day 5   Similar viewpoint but approached subject by thinking about it as structural forms rather than patches of light and dark.  I thought about the tone afterwards. It is a very rough drawing but I enjoyed working out the shapes.  The  light got bad as it was late afternoon (almost dusk) and the light source is confusing.  The greyscale photo helped establish the tones.

Also thought about what interested me about the still life, and decided it was the patterns, the colours and the textures, as well as personal associations of the objects..  So not principally the form or the tone! 

I am getting to know the still life and seeing different things in it and understanding it enough to start experimenting.  But time to move to next exercise - using paint!  
Extended version of Drawing 5


Here (above) is the last part of this section, where I have placed Drawing 5 on a larger sheet of paper and extended it all around by about 2 cm.  I like this extended version better, it gives the subject breathing space, and also it was a chance to create an imaginary environment.

No comments:

Post a Comment