Wednesday 28 January 2015

MONOCHROME PAINTING - THE HORSE

Photograph taken in Newmarket 2012




A monochrome sketch of the same subject 2015  acrylic on board



Two years ago I did a series of paintings based on the Newmarket visit of 2012, but this is one I really struggled with.  I could not get the drawing or the composition right and I scrubbed it off and abandoned it. But it was always there, and today I painted over it using the monochrome technique of three colours (black, yellow ochre and white), and thinking first in terms of negative shapes and then of tone.  Looking at the sketch now, I can see how rough it is and also how I have not got the legs quite right, but I felt a lot more confident, and looked at it much more in terms of composition.  For example the pattern of shadow is as important as the horse itself.  I will work a bit more on it to clarify the background and the horse's body, but not too much as I like the looseness of it.

Next day

Same picture with more drawing


I drew into this with charcoal, and found lots of inaccuracies. Added a bit of paint, but mainly drew the shapes today.



No comments:

Post a Comment